If you plan on studying in the States, you must apply for a F-1 Visa for non-immigrant applicants. Before you start, you must have already been accepted by a SEVP-approved university who will act as your sponsor. They will also provide you with your I-20 form, which is your visa application. Thereafter, you will have to pay a SEVIS fee, complete an online visa application, and finally schedule an appointment for your interview at the US Embassy or Consulate.

Some US Embassies and Consulates may have different procedures, so it is advised that you contact your local visa center to confirm.

New students can be issued a visa up to 120 days in advance from your course start date. However, you will not be allowed to enter the United States with a F-1 status earlier than 30 days before your start date.

Required Documents:

  1. Passport valid for travel to the United States. Your passport must be valid for at least 6 months beyond your period of stay in the US, unless exempt by country-specific agreements

  2. Non-immigrant Visa Application Form, DS-160 Confirmation Page.

  3. Application Fee Payment Receipt (applies if you are required to pay prior to your interview)

  4. Passport photo

  5. F-1 Form, I-20 Form or M-1 form. Your university will send you a I-20 form generated by SEVIS

  6. Other requirements that vary include:

    a. Academic transcripts, diplomas, and standardized test scores

    b. Your intended departure date from the United States upon completion of studies

    c. Your financial plan for university, living, and travel costs